What to Expect During a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Oklahoma CityPutnam Law Office
Everyone’s personal injury claim is different. The details of a claim, the extent of damages, and how long the claims process can take can vary from person to person. If you were injured by a negligent party and starting the personal injury claims process, you may be anxious, wondering what will happen and what needs to be done to get the compensation you require.
Taking legal action can be stressful. This is especially true if a claim turns into a lawsuit and has to be decided in court. To help reduce some pressure and move things along more smoothly, an attorney can ease a lot of the apprehensions a victim may have.
After an injury accident in Oklahoma, when you are ready to file a claim for compensation, an Oklahoma City personal injury attorney at the Putnam Law Office can assist you. Part of what makes the whole process unnerving is the fear of the unknown. While an attorney cannot tell you exactly how things will go, they can answer your questions and give you an overview of how the claims process works. Additionally, an attorney can manage your claim on your behalf so that you are supported from start to finish.
Understanding the Personal Injury Claims Process
Anything can happen when an Oklahoma personal injury claim is filed that can affect how complicated the claims process is and how long things will take to come to a conclusion. One thing that can have a great impact on how a claim will go is if there is court involvement. When a resolution requires a case to go to trial, this will increase not only the length of time that it takes to get compensation but also the costs to get to that end. Though, most personal injury claims will resolve outside of the courtroom.
A basic outline of the personal injury claims process is detailed below.
- An unintentional injury accident occurs, and a victim seeks medical attention. After medical treatment, then meeting with an attorney can help a victim determine if they have a valid claim to make or not. If so, an attorney can quickly get started on building a claim.
- An attorney will conduct an in-depth investigation into one’s injury accident experience. This will help them gather as much evidence as possible to get an understanding of what happened and to show that the party who the claim is being filed against is liable for a certain amount of damages. During this portion of the claims process, an attorney can better value what a claim is worth.
- Settlement negotiations can begin between your attorney and the insurance adjuster on your case. While you have the ultimate say in accepting or rejecting an offer, your attorney will give you advice on what they believe is the right move that is in your best interest.
- If you cannot come to an agreement during settlement negotiations, alternative dispute resolution techniques may be used. These could be mediation or arbitration.
- A claim that is not settled outside of court will result in a lawsuit being filed. Once entered into litigation, it could take months or years before the process concludes.
Call the Putnam Law Office Today
Due to the complexity of the personal injury claims process, having help from a professional can be advantageous. For more information, please call the Putnam Law Office today to schedule a free consultation at (405) 849-9149.