What to Do After a Car Accident in Oklahoma City: A Comprehensive Guide
Car accidents are jarring experiences. They are unexpected, often happen quickly, and can leave wreckage and injured pedestrians or car occupants. It is not uncommon to have a hard time thinking clearly after a crash, still, it is critical that certain actions are taken.
Car accidents happen every single day in the United States. There are approximately more than six million reported each year across the country. In Oklahoma in 2021, there were 762 people who died in crashes and 11,619 people who were injured.
An Oklahoma car accident can bring about several pricey damages including medical expenses and property damage repair costs. To recover compensation for such losses, it can be helpful to speak with an attorney. The Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys at the Putnam Law Office can help you file your claim.
Step By Step Guide About What to Do After A Car Accident
After a crash, the following steps should happen:
- If possible, move your automobile to a safe location. This is especially true when a crash takes place on the road.
- Alert other drivers of the crash by putting out reflective triangles or turning your hazard lights on.
- If you are able, check everyone in the crash to see if anyone was injured.
- Call 911 to alert the authorities of the crash and if any serious injuries need emergency medical attention.
- Exchange information with the drivers involved. You will want to gather their name, contact details, insurance information, and driver’s license number.
- If witnesses are present, ask to see if they will provide their contact information.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene. The conditions of the road, the weather, the damage to the vehicles, marks from the crash like skid marks that may be evident, etc.
- Be aware of scammers that may come around to take advantage. For instance, if someone you do not know is offering a type of service like a towing service when you haven’t called them, they might not have a legitimate operation.
- When you get home, make sure to promptly write down your recollection of how the accident happened while it is fresh in your memory.
- After the accident obtain the police report.
- Call your insurer and report your accident.
- Make sure to see a medical professional as soon as possible after a crash for an exam and to identify and diagnose any injuries.
- Connect with an experienced car accident attorney for help filing a claim and working through the Oklahoma claims process.
Speak to an Attorney at the Putnam Law Office Today
Car accidents are unsettling and they may make you feel frightened and unsure of what you are supposed to do. Familiarizing yourself with the steps that you should take after a crash can help you if you ever find yourself in such a position.
For more information on what to do after a car accident, you are welcome to schedule a free consultation with an Oklahoma car accident injury attorney at the Putnam Law Office at (405) 849-9149.