When Can Alimony Orders Be Changed?

When Can Alimony Orders Be Changed?

When it comes to new life changes right after a divorce, drastic changes can change an alimony order. This includes changes that impact income, living expenses, remarriage, or children moving out of the house. Depending on what changes you are experiencing, requesting an update to your alimony order may be difficult or simple. Talk to an Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer to figure out what options you have in your current situation. 

Changing an Alimony Order

Situations Where Alimony Orders Can ChangeMany people who have successfully gone through a divorce wonder if they can eventually change an alimony order. The truth is that you may or may not be able to change an alimony order. To convince a judge, you will have to prove that you have experienced a significant change in your situation. 

The first step in this process is to assess whether you have experienced what the court considers a significant change. Some examples can involve a sudden drop in income, job loss, or promotion at work. Talking to a lawyer about your situation before taking the next step can help you figure out whether you would qualify. 

Once this is figured out, you will need to file a request to modify the order to the court. The trick, other than convincing the judge, is that you and your spouse will need to agree on this new alimony order. To finalize the order, you both need to provide a signature. 

Some people wonder what happens to alimony if they remarry. In most cases, remarriage gives your ex-spouse a sufficient reason to end alimony payments. The logic is that if you remarry, you will likely be receiving additional income and will no longer need financial assistance from your former spouse. However, this varies depending on the circumstances. 

Disagreements and Not Following Alimony Payments

In the event that you and your spouse disagree on alimony, the court will be the one to decide. Many factors will be assessed by the judge to determine the best possible action. These factors may include looking at you or your spouse’s finances like:

  • Income
  • Future income
  • Employment status
  • Child support orders
  • Taxes
  • Retirement benefits
  • Bills or other financial obligations like loans
  • The overall ability of you or your spouse to make the payments given your financial status

Factors of the marriage will also be looked at like the length of the marriage and what the standards of living were like during the marriage. 

When it comes to your spouse failing to make an alimony payment, the best action you can take is to file a motion for contempt to the court. You can also talk to a lawyer about your options. 

Family Lawyer in Oklahoma

Trying to modify an alimony order can be a complex process when it comes to defending your need for the modification. Consider hiring an Oklahoma Family Lawyer if you need to change an alimony order or if your former spouse is failing to make payments. Call the Putnam Law Office at (405)-849-9149 for a consultation today. Mr. Putnam is an Oklahoma City, OK attorney who is dedicated to his clients.

Share this post