Is There Any Way I Can Stop Parental Kidnapping?

Is There Any Way I Can Stop Parental Kidnapping?

There are certain laws around divorces related to parental kidnapping. In many cases, you can press charges for parental kidnapping. Many people wonder what they can do if they suspect parental kidnapping is about to take place. This all comes down to convincing the family court judge. You can also talk to an Oklahoma City family lawyer about what steps you can take to protect your child.

How to Stop Parental Kidnapping

You might be able to stop parental kidnapping before it happens with an emergency court order. There are two options to choose from:

  • Emergency temporary restraining order
  • A temporary child custody order

These orders can be used to stop your soon-to-be ex-spouse from leaving the state of Oklahoma with your child. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to Is There Any Way I Can Stop Parental Kidnapping?prevent your ex-spouse from seeing your child while the divorce case is pending. Some courts will even hold the child’s passport to prevent any possibility of the child being taken to another state.

Pursuing these actions is not always easy. You will have to convince a judge that you have reason to believe your ex-spouse will kidnap your child. This means having reasonable evidence and facts to support your claim. It can be helpful to know what Oklahoma means by parental kidnapping first.

Parental kidnapping is defined as forcibly taking a child or hiding a child from someone with custodial rights. In this context, a parent with custodial rights is a parent who has parental rights to raise a child. This means a parent without custodial rights may not have any legal leverage in this situation.

What if My Child Was Kidnapped?

If your child did end up being kidnapped by your spouse or ex-spouse, you can take legal action. Do not panic because you have various resources. Call the police as soon as you can to report what happened. Provide as many details as possible.

The consequences of parental kidnapping can prevent your ex-spouse from ever doing this again. Your ex-spouse will be located and then arrested for parental kidnapping. Depending on the circumstances, your ex-spouse may spend up to ten years in jail. Parental rights could be removed. This usually pertains to situations where the child was age 16 years or younger.

In some cases, your ex-spouse might be able to escape these charges. Consider contacting an Oklahoma City family lawyer if you have any concerns about this. A lawyer can help you figure out your legal options and pursue the best ones for you. You might be able to increase your chances of sole child custody, visitation rights, and child support payments.

Family Lawyer in Oklahoma City

Dealing with your child being kidnapped can be devastating. All you have to do is talk to an Oklahoma divorce attorney to see what legal steps you can take. Feel free to contact the Putnam Law Office today at (405)-849-9149 for a consultation. We help you defend your claim and your parental rights. Mr. Putnam is a dedicated lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK who is prepared to help you move towards your divorce goals.

Share this post