How to File a Personal Injury Claim in Oklahoma City: A Step-by-Step Guide
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, a car accident, or another incident that was caused by another party or entity’s negligence, then you may want to know more about your legal options for compensation. Each state is different in terms of what laws they follow and how a victim of an injury accident can file a claim for financial compensation to pay for their damages, and damages after an injury accident can be significant. The cost of medical expenses, plus replacing or repairing a property that was destroyed and time away from work, just to name a few damages, can cost quite a lot. Filing a personal injury claim may be the means to obtain compensation after an accident.
The process of filing a claim to cover all your losses can be complicated, and the Oklahoma personal injury attorneys at the Putnam Law explain more on the basics of filing a personal injury claim in Oklahoma for damages.
Steps to Take When Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Oklahoma
Personal injury claims are tort claims. They are a legal method for individuals harmed by the wrongdoing of others to recover compensation for losses. Even though the process is generally the same for most personal injury cases, every case will have different aspects and work itself out in its own way. The following steps can give you an idea of what to expect when filing a personal injury claim.
- After injuries are suffered in an injury event, see a medical professional to be examined. A doctor can diagnose you and put you on a treatment schedule to help you start the recovery process.
- Start documenting damages. This would include medical treatment that was required, missed wages while away from work, property damage costs, journaling the daily struggles and feelings one is going through is also important, and anything else related to the injury accident should be preserved.
- Connect with an attorney soon after an accident to have your case reviewed and to gain valuable legal guidance on if you have a case and how to proceed.
- Once you have chosen an attorney, your legal counsel will investigate your accident to identify all of the damages that were suffered, value the claim, and start building a robust and compelling claim.
- Your attorney will use the information collected from your accident to establish that negligence existed on the part of the individual or entity that you are filing your claim.
- The service process will start when your attorney serves notice of your claim.
- A demand letter by your attorney will be sent to the party or entity you are filing your claim against, and then your attorney and the other side will come together and start negotiations.
- Despite most claims coming to an agreeable settlement, sometimes this does not happen. If a settlement cannot be reached, then a lawsuit will be filed.
- Mediation may get things resolved before a case goes to court.
- If mediation is unsuccessful, then a case will be litigated in court.
Speak with a Lawyer at Putnam Law
Having assistance with a personal injury claim can make things move along much more smoothly and with less stress. Call the Putnam Law Office today to schedule a free consultation where you can learn more about how to proceed with a claim at (405) 849-9149.