Different Ways to Respond to a Divorce Summons

Different Ways to Respond to a Divorce Summons

There is more than one way to respond to a divorce summons in Oklahoma. Knowing the different ways you can respond can help you prepare for how the response you choose will affect your future circumstances. Depending on the response you choose, you may need to hire a lawyer, fill out forms, or not do anything. If you have questions about your divorce or what you should do, be sure to talk to an experienced Oklahoma Family Lawyer for guidance.  

Ways to Respond to a Divorce Summons

There are four main ways you can respond to a divorce summons. One, you can choose to not respond at all, but you should know what will happen if you choose this. Not responding puts you in a true default position in the eyes of the court. This means that whatever your spouse has requested from the court will automatically be granted by the judge. Things your spouse may request can Different Ways to Respond to a Divorce Summonsinvolve decisions on child custody, alimony, or property. If you have any preferences for these decisions, you may lose those preferences if you do not respond within 30 days.

Another situation where you might not need to respond is when you have already made a written notarized agreement with your spouse. This means you have already reached an agreement with your ex-spouse beforehand either on your own or through a mediation program. In this scenario, the court will consider you in the default position.

The third option is you can respond to the summons while also agreeing with your spouse about divorce-related decisions concerning the children and division of finances. This will categorize the divorce as uncontested, meaning there is no disagreement. 

An uncontested divorce happens when you choose the fourth option, a response to the court that indicates your disagreement with your spouse. The divorce will need to be taken to trial in this situation. 

What Happens with Contested Divorces

Contested divorce is a fancy term for a divorce that needs to go to trial because both spouses disagree on what they want afterward. A contested divorce can be simple or complex depending on how many decisions you disagree on with your spouse. Common areas of disagreement involve child custody, visitation rights, alimony, child support, and property division. 

Alternatives to a divorce trial are seeking a mediation program to sort out your differences or working out a legal deal with your spouse through the help of lawyers. However, if a divorce trial seems to be the only option left, seeking a lawyer for yourself is highly advised because your spouse is likely to do the same. 

Family Attorney in Oklahoma

Figuring out what the best option is for you during a divorce can be stressful when you do not have all the information you need. Try talking to an Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer if you are struggling to figure out how you should handle your divorce. Contact the Putnam Law Office today at (405)-849-9149 for a consultation. Mr. Putnam is an Oklahoma City, OK attorney who is dedicated to his clients.

Share this post